Saturday, August 21, 2010

No break, but a good day anyway!

I did not get my "break" today, but I got a different kind of break.  And it turned out to be a really good one.  One of the major joys in my life, besides the obvious children and husband, is yarn.  Seriously, I love yarn.  The textures, the colors, the variety.  It's all just too fabulous for words.  I love going to a specialty yarn shop and just looking through all that they have to offer.  This just happens to be one thing that Lily actually really enjoys too!  So, during Leo's nap time today, we left him sleeping with his daddy and Lily and I took off on a date.  To the yarn store.  I started a pair of baby booties recently and upon seeing them finished, Lily insisted that she MUST have a pair of slippers too.  It's so much fun to make things for Lily because she always loves what I make her.  I just happened to have one very small ball of Plymouth Oh My yarn.  Oh My is so appropriate!  It's a super, incredibly soft yarn.  It just feels heavenly.  Unfortunately, the one ball was about 1 yard shy of what I needed for a pair of slippers for Lily.  So, we went hunting for another ball.  And just happened to find a funky yarn to use for the finishing touch too.  Here's Lily's first pair of slippers from mommy:


She's very happy with them.  I might just have to whip up another pair for her too.  They're just too cute and so quick and easy!

After the yarn, we stopped for ice cream and walked down the road to our absolute favorite bookstore in the entire world, Wild Rumpus.  Seriously, if anyone ever comes to visit us, we'll have to bring them to this store.  It's fantastic!  They have cats and chickens roaming free, and cages of chinchillas and ferrets and lovely birds.  Even a tarantula, named Harry (in honor of Harry Potter) and a lizard.  So much fun!  We finished our date off by picking up my favorite Indian food for dinner and bringing it home to eat with Leo and Daddy.  Leo LOVES Indian food.  Seriously, it's hilarious to watch him shoveling Malai Kofta into his mouth as quickly as he possibly can.  He actually nearly finished off the entire order of it by himself!  Between yarn shopping, books, and Indian food, it turned out to be a pretty fantastic day!  Even though I didn't get the break I deserve, I got some special time with my favorite little girl, and that's infinitely more precious!

5 comments:

  1. OMG...those slippers are ADORABLE!!!

    I am glad you had a great day Cindy. I was worried about you after your busy week etc. I hope you get that break you need tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the slippers... they are just too cute! I'm glad you got to enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, it sounds like Elise would LOVE that bookstore! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah for knitting...once upon a time I did a lot of it myself. Someday again I'll enjoy the pasttime.
    I am glad you had a break even if not alone it sounds like it filled your need for a big of diversion from the same ol' same ol.
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun!!! I love those slippers, they are just too cute :) I'm so glad you had such a great day!

    ReplyDelete