Sunday, May 16, 2010

Confessions....

I am a BAD DIABETIC!  Seriously.  I used to be so good at keeping everything under control (at least, that is once I got past my teenage rebellion stage).  When I was pregnant with my children, my A1Cs always ran in the 5-6 range.  It was great!  But since Lily was diagnosed, my own care has been pushed aside while I've concentrated on taking care of Lily's blood sugars.  The logically part of my brain knows that I need to be better at caring for myself because I need to be a good role model for Lily and because it's hard to be a good mommy when you're not feeling well.  So, I'm setting small goals for myself.  My goal this week, is to start testing at least 4 times a day.  And to make an appointment with the diabetes educator I used to see.  Small goals, which will hopefully lead to bigger goals.  Like adding in lots of exercise, eating better, testing even more, and just generally being in better health.  I've let myself fall into some horrible habits and comfort zones.  I'm a bigger girl.  I didn't used to be, but diabetes has a way of helping you pack on the pounds.  And, let's be honest, emotional eating hasn't helped either.  It's really a vicious cycle.  The more insulin you take, the more weight you seem to gain.  The more weight you gain, the more insulin you have to take.  Bad, bad, bad.  My ultimate goal is to decrease the amount of insulin I have to take, to lead a better lifestyle and to show my children how to lead a better lifestyle.  In order to be a good mommy to my diabetic daughter, I need to be a good diabetic. 

And just an added little note....I had every intention of participating in the Diabetes Blog Week.  And I still do.  Just a week late, I guess.  It's been a busy week with Lily's 3rd birthday and her party and whatever else life has been throwing at us.  I'll hopefully get a chance to start on those blog topics tomorrow!  For now, I'm going to pick up my crocheting (making a baby blanket for friends who are expecting in July), do a few rows and then head off to bed.  I need some rest!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy,

    I just found your blog and wanted to say hi, I have two daughters who are 2 and 4 years old and they both have type 1 diabetes. My girls were diagnosed just 11 months apart from each other and it was an incredibly difficult time for us. I can relate to you in that we moms tend to put our needs aside to make sure our children are taken care of first...we tend to put ourselves at the bottom of the list.

    This is something I am also trying to work on, although I don't have the extra challenge of having type diabetes myself.

    I look forward to getting to know more about you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be ready when you are for diabetes blog week!

    ReplyDelete